Thursday 19 February 2015

Fixing Common Problems Quickly with Camera Raw

One of the huge advantages of cropping in Adobe Camera Raw is that it's completely not destructive. So you can go back at any point in time and change your mind about what you want to include in an image and what you want to hide. In order to open this file in Adobe Camera Raw because its a jpeg file I'll click the opening Camera Raw icon. Now the first thing that I'm noticing are these red highlights, and that's because in a previous movie I turned on the clipping warnings. So we'll quickly turn those off by clicking on the triangles in the upper left and the upper right of the histogram.
Now, to select the crop tool, you can either select it from the tool bar or simply tap the C key. Then, to drag out your crop, click and drag. Once you release the mouse, you can always re-size the crop by clicking on the anchor point and dragging, or you can reposition the crop by positioning your cursor inside of it and clicking and dragging the crop marquee. If I want to apply this crop I tap the Enter or the Return key. But you'll notice, if I tap the C key again to select the crop tool, all of that information that I had cropped is still there.
So camera Raw is doing non-destructive cropping. No matter how many times I go in here and change the crop and re-crop my file, all of the information outside of the crop will still be saved. If I have a specific aspect ratio that I want to crop to, Then, I can click and hold on the crop tool. In the drop down menu, I would select the aspect ratio that I wanted or I could even click Custom and enter in a custom aspect ratio. For now, I'll choose four by five.
You'll notice that the middle anchor points disappear. I can still move the crop marquee and I can still resize the marquee but it's being constrained to the aspect ratio that I selected. Another feature of the crop tool is the ability to show an overlay. You'll notice that the image has been divided into thirds, this is to help with our composition. Instead of putting our main subject right in the center of the image, we might want to put it near these intersecting lines, so if the door was the main subject I would want to scoot over my crop marquee.
To turn off the overlay, simply select it from the list. In order to apply the crop, I'm going to click Done. You'll notice that the thumb nail has been updated in Bridge, and there's a little crop icon to tell me that this image has been cropped. Now there's one last thing that I want to tell you and make sure that you're aware of. So let's return back into Adobe Camera Raw. When we select the crop tool, you'll notice that we did actually select an aspect ratio, but we didn't choose a specific output size.
So in Camera Raw, the crop tool only lets you select the aspect ratio. The file size, the image size that you either hand off to Photoshop or that you save the file out to, is going to be determined by either your work flow settings or by the save image options. There will be additional videos about file size and printing in later tutorials, but for now just know that your crop tool is only setting the aspect ratio. Excellent. Let's click Done.
And it's just that image to crop your image non-destructively in Camera Raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Guyz
Write Here what you want to know